Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

Hello there!

Im wanting to build a living room rig to hook up to my 65" 1080p tv.
I would like to be able to run RS3 on max + 3 bots, and youtube/web browser in the background/2nd monitor without lag. I also would like to be able to run other games in the future if i wanted. Maybe medium settings on those?

My budget is 500-600

I would also like to incorporate an SSD in the build (ive heard they really speed things up?) I dont need alot of storage just enough for the system to function... maybe add a regular hard drive as well if the budget alows.

Im kind of opposed to amd cpu, ive read a few things about them running hot and not lasting as long as intel. What do you think? I also really dont care much about overclocking if it is going to reduce the life of the hardware.

Thanks! feel free to share your thoughts and opinions :)
To be quite honest, AMD just gets bad press because Intel is naturally ahead in terms of CPU fabrication technology.
AMD CPU's are cheap but due to the nature of a processor you can't really be concerned about quality due to the ridiculously tight tolerances for these kinds of products.
While it's true that prolonged exposure to heat can and will degrade your processor faster (effectively reducing the lifespan), AMD isn't actually that bad for it. Intel on the other hand due to poor thermal paste inside the CPU can actually get very hot, my old chip (i5-4670k) got to 100 degrees during average/high load on the stock heatsink.

Personally I would put aside what you've heard and consider what your budget allows. Intel pretty much isn't viable in your price range without making compromises elsewhere.
AMD FX-6300, Asus Radeon R9 380, Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker
I did unfortunately go over the budget by $10, however that was because I wanted your hard drive to be a reliable one, and believe me when I say WD Red drives are reliable. They're actually for servers, but I run one and not only is it surprisingly quick but it's also very quiet.

Mod Automation
Hey @YubiBotter, I'd love your assistance again. We're going for an enthusiast build this time. Use case is a hybrid NAS (UnRAID) and gaming desktop. Call me a bandwagoner, but I'm not taking chances with AMD so I'm looking at the new-ish Intel i7 6700K. As such I'll probably want a motherboard that supports DDR4, USB 3.1, virtualization (necessary for UnRAID VMs), overclocking, NVMe, etc, but you're the expert. I'd love to play around with a TPM chip, but not having/supporting one is not a deal-breaker. I'm looking at 32GB of RAM, and I know Vengeance is the safe bet but I wouldn't mind alternatives. Graphics card should be in this generation, but not flagship; I don't game nearly enough to justify it, so let's go for value on this one. Hard drives I'm looking at two (for now) WD Red 4GBs and I'll throw some 500GB SSDs I have lying around for cache disks. I intend on putting my everyday VMs on an NVMe, but I'll hold off on that until UnRAID supports them instead of hacking it with an HDD passthrough. Let me know what you think, particularly in motherboard and graphics card, and thanks in advance mate.

P.S. Sorry for not providing a budget, but I don't really have one. That's not to say I want to spend an insane amount, but I'm flexible depending on the value proposition.

Hey @YubiBotter, I'd love your assistance again. We're going for an enthusiast build this time. Use case is a hybrid NAS (UnRAID) and gaming desktop. Call me a bandwagoner, but I'm not taking chances with AMD so I'm looking at the new-ish Intel i7 6700K. As such I'll probably want a motherboard that supports DDR4, USB 3.1, virtualization (necessary for UnRAID VMs), overclocking, NVMe, etc, but you're the expert. I'd love to play around with a TPM chip, but not having/supporting one is not a deal-breaker. I'm looking at 32GB of RAM, and I know Vengeance is the safe bet but I wouldn't mind alternatives. Graphics card should be in this generation, but not flagship; I don't game nearly enough to justify it, so let's go for value on this one. Hard drives I'm looking at two (for now) WD Red 4GBs and I'll throw some 500GB SSDs I have lying around for cache disks. I intend on putting my everyday VMs on an NVMe, but I'll hold off on that until UnRAID supports them instead of hacking it with an HDD passthrough. Let me know what you think, particularly in motherboard and graphics card, and thanks in advance mate.

P.S. Sorry for not providing a budget, but I don't really have one. That's not to say I want to spend an insane amount, but I'm flexible depending on the value proposition.

The 6700k is way overpriced right now and is also out of stock in most stores, I'd suggest using a 4790k instead since they aren't that much weaker than the 6700k or a 5820k (which is about as powerful).

Mod Automation
The 6700k is way overpriced right now and is also out of stock in most stores, I'd suggest using a 4790k instead since they aren't that much weaker than the 6700k or a 5820k (which is about as powerful).
I agree, but I have a wholesaler contact who will sell me one at retail of $350. :)

Asus Radeon R7 370 - System Build - PCPartPicker
These would be my choices given your situation, picked the motherboard as it not only includes an M.2 slot as an option, it also has good overclocking capabilities and 4 SATA3 ports.
RAM is basically get whatever is cheapest, as proper reliability only really comes with ECC RAM which is for servers.
CPU Cooler was based on both performance and reliability, liquid cooling would be something of an obvious go-to but liquid coolers have more points of failure and that's not something you want on a system that holds a relatively significant amount of data.
HDD's I assumed you meant 4TB as opposed to 4GB.
The GPU was picked namely for the price to performance as you specified.
PSU was picked again for reliability, not to mention using the system as a NAS generally means constant uptime, so I would consider efficiency a factor (hence the Gold certification).

Asus Radeon R7 370 - System Build - PCPartPicker
These would be my choices given your situation, picked the motherboard as it not only includes an M.2 slot as an option, it also has good overclocking capabilities and 4 SATA3 ports.
RAM is basically get whatever is cheapest, as proper reliability only really comes with ECC RAM which is for servers.
CPU Cooler was based on both performance and reliability, liquid cooling would be something of an obvious go-to but liquid coolers have more points of failure and that's not something you want on a system that holds a relatively significant amount of data.
HDD's I assumed you meant 4TB as opposed to 4GB.
The GPU was picked namely for the price to performance as you specified.
PSU was picked again for reliability, not to mention using the system as a NAS generally means constant uptime, so I would consider efficiency a factor (hence the Gold certification).
Should have at least gotten a gtx960, ~35-40$ more and way better performance. 370 may be this generation, but its just a reskin, and truly nothing more.

Should have at least gotten a gtx960, ~35-40$ more and way better performance. 370 may be this generation, but its just a reskin, and truly nothing more.
Not really concerned about rebrands, and $35/$40 more for something that realistically won't be used that often or much. If I were going with the generic performance/price ratio then I would've went with a 970, but unless Arbiter will be playing triple A titles or something then there's no need for that much performance.
But either way, that can be Arbiter's decision.

Not really concerned about rebrands, and $35/$40 more for something that realistically won't be used that often or much. If I were going with the generic performance/price ratio then I would've went with a 970, but unless Arbiter will be playing triple A titles or something then there's no need for that much performance.
But either way, that can be Arbiter's decision.
Meh I suppose. Just honestly if any gaming will be done, gotta go big or go home

I've read that AMD has a better price to performance ratio for pretty much every price point except for the 980 Ti. Especially with AMD's 380 and 390. Not sure if this is true, but power efficiency is probably a concern, too.

@YubiBotter Looks impressive. Is there a reason you didn't include a case in the build?

Last edited:
I've read that AMD has a better price to performance ratio for pretty much every price point except for the 980 Ti. Especially with AMD's 380 and 390. Not sure if this is true - but power efficiency is probably a concern, too.

@YubiBotter is there a reason you didn't include a case in the build? Looks impressive.
yeah, nvidia cards draw less power, and usually run cooler, even if its not too much cooler. as for the price-perfirmance ratio, they're close enough, but usually the Nvidia cards inch ahead. I'm just biased, AMD imo is only good if you live in the arctic circle, or don't have heat in your house :D My gf has an AMD cpu, and im replacing that bitch asap.

I've read that AMD has a better price to performance ratio for pretty much every price point except for the 980 Ti. Especially with AMD's 380 and 390. Not sure if this is true - but power efficiency is probably a concern, too.

@YubiBotter Looks impressive. Is there a reason you didn't include a case in the build?
I'm not too concerned about GPU efficiency as for the most part when the card idles it will underclock itself and reduce the voltage.
Only reason I didn't pick a case was because there was nothing mentioned pertaining to cases, and I had forgotten to ask.

Though my generic recommendation would be the Fractal Design S Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-S-BK) - PCPartPicker

As you can imagine I'm all too used to the AMD hate, and as someone that has ran both their CPU's and GPU's, I've never had a problem with them. To this day I will still recommend their hardware, because despite what people say they do have a space in the market.

I'm not too concerned about GPU efficiency as for the most part when the card idles it will underclock itself and reduce the voltage.
Only reason I didn't pick a case was because there was nothing mentioned pertaining to cases, and I had forgotten to ask.

Though my generic recommendation would be the Fractal Design S Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-S-BK) - PCPartPicker

As you can imagine I'm all too used to the AMD hate, and as someone that has ran both their CPU's and GPU's, I've never had a problem with them. To this day I will still recommend their hardware, because despite what people say they do have a space in the market.
my next case may be by Fractal. They have amazing cases :)

Mod Automation
Let's say I wanted a step up on the motherboard. Would it be a complete waste of money? If not, what would you suggest? Also if I intend to overclock as much as possible while remaining conservative would that change your cooler suggestion? And yeah I don't need a case. Got plenty lying around. Thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod Automation
Honestly might skip on the video card for a while.

Let's say I wanted a step up on the motherboard. Would it be a complete waste of money? If not, what would you suggest? Also if I intend to overclock as much as possible while remaining conservative would that change your cooler suggestion? And yeah I don't need a case. Got plenty lying around. Thanks. :)

If I were to turn something of a blind-eye to price, the Asus Z170-WS motherboard would be my choice, pretty much one of the most solid boards you can get. Asus Z170-WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Z170-WS) - PCPartPicker
A more conservative board (price wise at least) would be an Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, which naturally includes the solid overclocking capabilities of an ROG board. Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (MAXIMUS VIII RANGER) - PCPartPicker
In all honesty though, the gains will be somewhat insignificant in terms of performance, the main thing you'll receive is a prolonged warranty as the products are somewhat prestigious and reliability.

And in terms of a cooler, I don't think it would, but by all means this is your build and if you would prefer something akin to a Hydro Series from Corsair then that's your preference :p
Running no GPU would be fine as well, even if temporary, due to the iGPU in the processor.

To be quite honest, AMD just gets bad press because Intel is naturally ahead in terms of CPU fabrication technology.
AMD CPU's are cheap but due to the nature of a processor you can't really be concerned about quality due to the ridiculously tight tolerances for these kinds of products.
While it's true that prolonged exposure to heat can and will degrade your processor faster (effectively reducing the lifespan), AMD isn't actually that bad for it. Intel on the other hand due to poor thermal paste inside the CPU can actually get very hot, my old chip (i5-4670k) got to 100 degrees during average/high load on the stock heatsink.

Personally I would put aside what you've heard and consider what your budget allows. Intel pretty much isn't viable in your price range without making compromises elsewhere.
AMD FX-6300, Asus Radeon R9 380, Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker
I did unfortunately go over the budget by $10, however that was because I wanted your hard drive to be a reliable one, and believe me when I say WD Red drives are reliable. They're actually for servers, but I run one and not only is it surprisingly quick but it's also very quiet.
Hey, thank you for the reply! I forgot to tell you.
I am getting ready to order everything tonight and have one question. Is the case you have picked out necessary? I read the reviews on it and it seems like a great case but I don't really plan on upgrading this pc to water cooling or adding any other hard drives. Could I downgrade to one of the cheaper cases and not sacrifice performance or extra heat buildup? And if so what would you recommend?
(Hoping to add a blu ray player drive as well and do away with my blu Ray player as it will be hooked up to my living room tv)

Last edited:
Is my setup good for botting etc?

Intel core i7 4790k
Radeon r7 260x
Crucial SSD 128gb
Hdd 500gb western digital
8gb corsair vegnance RAM
Mother board ga-h81m-s2pv
Corsair VS Series 450W 80PLUS 120mm FAN (CP-9020096-EU)