Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

era

I should've asked for this before, but what do you do with your PC? That's typically what I would base my upgrade paths on.
Also I'm assuming that's an R9 280/R9 290(X)?

Since that post I got an aftermarket cpu cooler and overclocked it to 4.2 Ghz. I also upgraded my memory to 16GB.
My video card is the Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X.

I mainly use my PC for development at the moment, but I like to launch some games and play them at max settings if possible.
Can't name specific games as I switch up a lot sorry. A 'general' upgrade recommendation would be great, I use my PC for everything really :D(y).

Since that post I got an aftermarket cpu cooler and overclocked it to 4.2 Ghz. I also upgraded my memory to 16GB.
My video card is the Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X.

I mainly use my PC for development at the moment, but I like to launch some games and play them at max settings if possible.
Can't name specific games as I switch up a lot sorry. A 'general' upgrade recommendation would be great, I use my PC for everything really :D(y).
To be honest I would look into Crossfiring your R9 290X card with another, though this does come with some complications such as needing a new PSU and possibly a new motherboard.
But then if I were to recommend a CPU upgrade, you would need a new motherboard anyway, I feel you're at a point where a tangible upgrade might be pricey.

CPU upgrade would probably be something akin to an newer i5 such as an i5 6600(k).

Hey Everyone :)
I actually have a shitty pc that can run some games but not on highest performances.
Out of game, the pc is fast and runs pretty fine.

I'm in a strict budget and I want to slowly buy pieces 1 by one but I don't know what part should I upgrade first for a noticable increase,
Here are my specs :
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 (Approx. Total memory 2668MB)
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ
- RAM 4GB
- Mother board how can I find it without the box ?..

So I would like to upgrade with like 300-400$ by shots of 100-150$ each shot..
What do you suggest ?

Hey Everyone :)
I actually have a shitty pc that can run some games but not on highest performances.
Out of game, the pc is fast and runs pretty fine.

I'm in a strict budget and I want to slowly buy pieces 1 by one but I don't know what part should I upgrade first for a noticable increase,
Here are my specs :
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 (Approx. Total memory 2668MB)
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ
- RAM 4GB
- Mother board how can I find it without the box ?..

So I would like to upgrade with like 300-400$ by shots of 100-150$ each shot..
What do you suggest ?
Speccy would be a great program to identify your motherboard without needing the box.
This would be a great addition for your PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42966kr

The only issue is that I need more information related to your power supply. This could be obtained if you knew either the model of it, or can provide pictures of the unit. On the side of the power supply there should be a grid of information such as "3.3v | 5v | 12v" and watt/amp info.

Thanks for the quick reply

Motherboard :
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M4A77T/USB3 (AM3)

Power supply info : Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO Model TP3-550
550W OUTPUT

Thanks for the quick reply

Motherboard :
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M4A77T/USB3 (AM3)

Power supply info : Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO Model TP3-550
550W OUTPUT
That power supply should have no issues powering a GTX 960, any CPU upgrade isn't necessarily worth it on your current motherboard.
Instead I would recommend that you purchase a new motherboard and CPU so you are on a newer socket such as AM3+.

Or you could pick up another 4GB kit of your RAM assuming you have RAM slots available, believe it or not but RAM can make your system snappier in everyday tasks. In this case however, you will have to click RAM on Speccy and tell me how many Memory Slots you have free.
It would also be handy for compatibility's sake if you could find what RAM you currently have, though no software can tell you this to my knowledge.

Do you think I could run games fine if I change only mt GPU and keep the motherboard and cpu ?..

And for the ram here is what I have currently .. (1 x 4gb)
Vengeance® — 4GB Single Module DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
(1 more slot left)
Yeah I think your PC should handle games just fine with your current CPU and motherboard.
Some badly made games and particularly CPU intensive games might hurt it a little, but aside from those you should be fine.

If you want more RAM, then I recommend buying another stick of that, because then it's the same kit and will run the same which will remove potential incompatibilities.

Yeah I think your PC should handle games just fine with your current CPU and motherboard.
Some badly made games and particularly CPU intensive games might hurt it a little, but aside from those you should be fine.

If you want more RAM, then I recommend buying another stick of that, because then it's the same kit and will run the same which will remove potential incompatibilities.
I found myself a great used :
XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB DDR5 for 150$
is it a good thing ? will it fit ?

Budget:~$500-600
Intended use:Runescape/botting with a few clients,watch 1080p movies no problem,very light video editing(emphasis on very)
Currency:USD

I have a problem the card requires 1x 6pi and 1x 8pin.I only have 2 Pci-e 1x6pin... the only 8pin I have doesnt fit
That 8 pin you have is for the motherboard to supply extra power, I'm rather surprised your power supply has no 8 pin for a GPU.
While you can get 6-pin to 8-pin adapters, I wouldn't recommend it as an 8-pin will typically allow for more power delivery and that could result in trouble if your card were to pull more than the 6-pin is capable of.

On a more fortunate side of events;
Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (RS550-AMAAG1-S1) - PCPartPicker
That is actually dirt cheap for what it is, has two 6+2 pin (meaning you can disconnect 2 of the pins if you only need 6, or reconnect the 2 for a total of 8) and is probably one of the best 550w units available.

oh well I feel so stupid...
card worked fine I could play game ultra and all.
I realised I had an hdmi port now I tryed it but it wasnt working so I read forums and someone said to update BIOS... I tryed to by ezflash and now my pc wont boot... it gets stuck when your screen gets black then you see your desktop appearing but mine stays black with a windows 7 not genuine pls update in the bottom right corner really small

Help please :(

oh well I feel so stupid...
card worked fine I could play game ultra and all.
I realised I had an hdmi port now I tryed it but it wasnt working so I read forums and someone said to update BIOS... I tryed to by ezflash and now my pc wont boot... it gets stuck when your screen gets black then you see your desktop appearing but mine stays black with a windows 7 not genuine pls update in the bottom right corner really small

Help please :(
Oh god that wasn't a wise decision, did you update to the correct BIOS? Truth be told I'm not sure at all how you can go about updating it to a proper BIOS.
More modern motherboards come with a BIOS Flashback feature to resolve this, the only way to solve this now is to physically replace your BIOS chip with one that has the appropriate BIOS software, but again I've not a clue how you could go about this without proprietary hardware.