Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

@YubiBotter

Going from 770 4GB SLI to single 970 with watercooling (and OC). Will I get about the same performance? I don't want to upgrade, just similar experiences.
Two 770's is approximately on par with a 980, a 970 watercooled would need a hefty overclock to reach similar results if it all possible.

970's do reach nice overclocks but I would personally want a proper full-cover waterblock on it (which I'm assuming you're not getting), as they cool the voltage regulators which can make or break a good overclocking GPU.

If I had to guess, I would expect overclocked 770's to be the best option.

12 year old normie
Two 770's is approximately on par with a 980, a 970 watercooled would need a hefty overclock to reach similar results if it all possible.

970's do reach nice overclocks but I would personally want a proper full-cover waterblock on it (which I'm assuming you're not getting), as they cool the voltage regulators which can make or break a good overclocking GPU.

If I had to guess, I would expect overclocked 770's to be the best option.

I want to make my first closed loop water cooling in my PC. Not really top notch parts, but I'm seeing it as an experiment. The problem is that for my cards full cover water blocks do not exist (that being the 2x 770's). So I'm swapping them out.

I can sell them for about 300 euro in total, so I need to get 1 card back, that has water block compatibility, and also leave some room for the purchase of a water block (roughly 80 euro)

I haven't looked into AMD cards, as I have absolutely 0 experience with them.

Advice pls @YubiBotter

EDIT: I do plan on a full cover water block.

I want to make my first closed loop water cooling in my PC. Not really top notch parts, but I'm seeing it as an experiment. The problem is that for my cards full cover water blocks do not exist (that being the 2x 770's). So I'm swapping them out.

I can sell them for about 300 euro in total, so I need to get 1 card back, that has water block compatibility, and also leave some room for the purchase of a water block (roughly 80 euro)

I haven't looked into AMD cards, as I have absolutely 0 experience with them.

Advice pls @YubiBotter

EDIT: I do plan on a full cover water block.
Out of curiosity, which 770's do you have?
This site is my go-to website to find blocks for cards: CoolingConfigurator.com

Also in terms of reliability I would only recommend getting this pump: EK D5 X-Top Pump Top w/ D5 Vario Pump - Acrylic (EK-D5 Vario X-TOP - Plexi (incl. pump)) - FrozenCPU.com
They can be controlled via PWM or you can run them on a static speed, imo they're the only choice for a quiet reliable pump.

12 year old normie
Out of curiosity, which 770's do you have?
This site is my go-to website to find blocks for cards: CoolingConfigurator.com

Also in terms of reliability I would only recommend getting this pump: EK D5 X-Top Pump Top w/ D5 Vario Pump - Acrylic (EK-D5 Vario X-TOP - Plexi (incl. pump)) - FrozenCPU.com
They can be controlled via PWM or you can run them on a static speed, imo they're the only choice for a quiet reliable pump.

I have the MSI GEFORCE N770 TF 4GD5/OC, twice. Only GPU-only blocks, sadly. :/

And holy shit, 120 dollar for the pump only??

I have the MSI GEFORCE N770 TF 4GD5/OC, twice. Only GPU-only blocks, sadly. :/

And holy shit, 120 dollar for the pump only??
Yeah watercooling is a pretty expensive hobby, fittings can be like $5+ per piece, and you'll need like 8 for a simple rad+cpu+gpu+reservoir loop.
It's the same with reservoirs, they're simple in terms of construction but because it's a relatively niche product you'll pay a bomb for it.

Generally speaking I recommend avoiding custom watercooling because for the most part it's just too expensive, you'll get more performance by just using that money and buying a better card.

12 year old normie
Yeah watercooling is a pretty expensive hobby, fittings can be like $5+ per piece, and you'll need like 8 for a simple rad+cpu+gpu+reservoir loop.
It's the same with reservoirs, they're simple in terms of construction but because it's a relatively niche product you'll pay a bomb for it.

Generally speaking I recommend avoiding custom watercooling because for the most part it's just too expensive, you'll get more performance by just using that money and buying a better card.

Yea, like I said it is more or less an experiment. I'm going to copper piping, case mod and stuff, just a lil project. I have the Corsair c70 vengeance military green and I plan to follow that theme. Goes well together with mySabertooth x79 mark 1.

Do you have any tips towards the GPU doe? Any advice on AMD's?

Yea, like I said it is more or less an experiment. I'm going to copper piping, case mod and stuff, just a lil project. I have the Corsair c70 vengeance military green and I plan to follow that theme. Goes well together with mySabertooth x79 mark 1.

Do you have any tips towards the GPU doe? Any advice on AMD's?
The best tip I can give is to use something like MX-2 thermal paste on the GPU core itself and pay very good attention to the thickness of your thermal pads on the GPU memory chips and VRM.
I tried Artic Silver 5 on my GPU and it hit 100 degrees immediately, regardless of how many times I reapplied it just performed awfully, replaced it with my MX-2 and it's been fantastic ever since.

AMD/Nvidia setups are pretty much the same, no notable differences in terms of waterblock application.

12 year old normie
The best tip I can give is to use something like MX-2 thermal paste on the GPU core itself and pay very good attention to the thickness of your thermal pads on the GPU memory chips and VRM.
I tried Artic Silver 5 on my GPU and it hit 100 degrees immediately, regardless of how many times I reapplied it just performed awfully, replaced it with my MX-2 and it's been fantastic ever since.

AMD/Nvidia setups are pretty much the same, no notable differences in terms of waterblock application.

What card would be good for 1080p single screen gaming though? @YubiBotter

I'm considering going AMD because better price/performance. Is the 8GB really necessary though? What about a 290?
I wouldn't say it's necessary, but I don't recall if there is a 4gb variant, and I'd rather too much than not enough.

12 year old normie
I wouldn't say it's necessary, but I don't recall if there is a 4gb variant, and I'd rather too much than not enough.

The 970's are 4GB, so why not 4GB 290's? I've read that 290 and 390's are almost no difference.

The 970's are 4GB, so why not 4GB 290's? I've read that 290 and 390's are almost no difference.
When you say 970's I assume you mean 390 :p
The 390 is a 290 but with some very minimal architectural changes and PCB design, one such change is memory controllers iirc which allows for more memory.

I BOT WOODCUTTING? What do you bot?
Intended Use: Botting along with intense Game play

Budget$2000

Current Build

GPU=GTX 480

16GB Gskill 1600MGZ Ram
1 240GB SSD, Not configured within the bios setup.
1 2TB HD @7200rpm
trooper series case

V7BHgyf.png

FDHP9oc.png

Last edited:
s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶ bot*
Would I see a major performance increase if I got myself another 1080 and went SLI? I don't have a 4K monitor right now, but I have a 4K TV, and I plan on getting the monitors shortly.

If I'm playing a game in 1080p on a 4K monitor, will it look weird/fuzzy?

Much thanks long time yes :)

12 year old normie
Intended Use: Botting along with intense Game play

Budget$2000

Current Build

GPU=GTX 480

16GB Gskill 1600MGZ Ram
1 240GB SSD, Not configured within the bios setup.
1 2TB HD @7200rpm
trooper series case

V7BHgyf.png

FDHP9oc.png

You can easily overclock your CPU like 1 GHz more, which basically gets a lot more gain from the same chip! You would likely have to upgrade your cooling solution for your CPU though. There's rather cheap water coolers available, or even high end air coolers will give you that extra headroom. This will cost anywhere between 50 and 150 dollar, depending on what option you will be picking (air or water).

If you want to go over the top with RAM, you can buy for roughly 70 dollars extra another 16GB of RAM to get to 32GB.

You already have a decent sized SSD, so no worries there.

The only bottleneck for true gaming is the GTX 480 here. If you can list some games I can recommend you a good (NVIDIA) card. If it's stuff like CS:GO, you can easily go with a 960, if you use a reasonably sized 1080p screen. If you play regular triple A titles, you might want to go to 980. Or budget high end gaming with a 970.

@proxi You will most likely run into more problems with SLI that benefits. I had two MSI 780TI Twin Frozr's that i had in SLI config for a while (With the purpose of extreme resolution gaming). I ended up frying them both within 4 months. I now have a single MSI R9 290x Lightning that handles 9600x1080 resolution without batting an eye.

I BOT WOODCUTTING? What do you bot?
This is a super old Mobo and chipset, The ram, was recently replaced, I just want alot newer build if you know what I mean. :)

s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶ bot*