Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

Is my setup good for botting etc?

Intel core i7 4790k
Radeon r7 260x
Crucial SSD 128gb
Hdd 500gb western digital
8gb corsair vegnance RAM
Mother board ga-h81m-s2pv
Corsair VS Series 450W 80PLUS 120mm FAN (CP-9020096-EU)
ehh could use a bit more ram, but yeah youll do fine lol

Hey, thank you for the reply! I forgot to tell you.
I am getting ready to order everything tonight and have one question. Is the case you have picked out necessary? I read the reviews on it and it seems like a great case but I don't really plan on upgrading this pc to water cooling or adding any other hard drives. Could I downgrade to one of the cheaper cases and not sacrifice performance or extra heat buildup? And if so what would you recommend?
(Hoping to add a blu ray player drive as well and do away with my blu Ray player as it will be hooked up to my living room tv)
You could certainly change the case out for a cheaper one, the reason I picked that is namely for the reliability and build quality of Fractal Cases, not to mention the sound-dampening material they line the case with.
NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (S210-001) - PCPartPicker
The NZXT Source 210 is a relatively common case I recommend for tighter budgets, but by all means it will work perfectly for you.

Intel core i7 4790k
Radeon r7 260x
Crucial SSD 128gb
8gb corsair vegnance RAM
Certainly a decent build, as previously mentioned RAM will likely be your limiting factor.
Motherboard is something of a concern in my eyes, it's a H81 chipset meaning it's low end and the power delivery won't have heatsinks, which is something to consider when botting as you're putting the system under stress for many hours at a time.

Intel core i7 4790k
Radeon r7 260x
Crucial SSD 128gb
8gb corsair vegnance RAM

You should be able to run at least 14 instances of RS3 with a 4790k. You will need 32gb ram for that many bots; get Windows 7 Professional for free from DreamSpark if you're a CS major as the normal version of 7 can only support a maximum of 16gb.

mkl

Can you improve my current build? Looking for faster speed for general use and gaming wise

Cpu : Intel i7 3770k
Ram : Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8gb DDR3
Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Motherboard : P8Z77-V PRO
Storage : Western Blue Digital 500gb HDD

Java Warlord
Can you improve my current build? Looking for faster speed for general use and gaming wise

get an SSD to install your OS and games which have long loading times

1000 GBP budget
PC built for fast arithmetic, complex computational processes and can play new games smoothly. (the latter isn't as important if it goes over budget). (I'm thinking of 16GB ram, but could settle with 8).

1000 GBP budget
PC built for fast arithmetic, complex computational processes and can play new games smoothly. (the latter isn't as important if it goes over budget). (I'm thinking of 16GB ram, but could settle with 8).
For arithmetic performance I would generally opt for higher IPC, so you would think Skylake, however if you're not overclocking you will get better performance from Broadwell hence my decision.
Intel Core i7-4790K, Asus GeForce GTX 970, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

I would just suggest using GPU's for arithmetic performance, but the reality is that not all programs will support it.
Intel Core i7-4790K, Asus Radeon R9 390, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
If you do know programs that will utilize a GPU for this, I would suggest the second build which has an AMD GPU, as their API is open source and considerably more likely to be supported.

Didn't actually see your post, apparently I must be blind :p
The only way to increase your performance is either the aforementioned SSD upgrade or to upgrade your GPU.
Your CPU is more than capable for modern games and needn't be changed.

Last edited:
For arithmetic performance I would generally opt for higher IPC, so you would think Skylake, however if you're not overclocking you will get better performance from Broadwell hence my decision.
Intel Core i7-4790K, Asus GeForce GTX 970, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

I would just suggest using GPU's for arithmetic performance, but the reality is that not all programs will support it.
Intel Core i7-4790K, Asus Radeon R9 390, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
If you do know programs that will utilize a GPU for this, I would suggest the second build which has an AMD GPU, as their API is open source and considerably more likely to be supported.
Is the graphics card is the determining factor? So I can buy all the other parts then try make the decision on which card I want in the end?

Is the graphics card is the determining factor? So I can buy all the other parts then try make the decision on which card I want in the end?
That is essentially the case, the GPU decision can be based off what kind of calculations you're going to be doing.
Because a GPU can destroy a CPU in terms of arithmetic, so if your programs can support it I would seriously suggest utilizing them.

12 year old normie
LGA m1150 mobo, z97 chipset.
I5 4670k @3.8ghz.

I5 supports max of 32gb RAM, at 1333 or 1600mhz, will there be any advantage in having higher hertz (like 2400mhz) sticks or will they cap at 1600? Because almost all LGA1150 mobos support up to 3000mhz I was wondering if Intel's cap means anything.

LGA m1150 mobo, z97 chipset.
I5 4670k @3.8ghz.

I5 supports max of 32gb RAM, at 1333 or 1600mhz, will there be any advantage in having higher hertz (like 2400mhz) sticks or will they cap at 1600? Because almost all LGA1150 mobos support up to 3000mhz I was wondering if Intel's cap means anything.
Higher RAM frequencies pretty much mean nothing unless you're doing something like video production, not to mention usually the RAM won't operate at the advertised frequency unless you either enable XMP or mess with your CPU's FSB, otherwise it would cause instability.

12 year old normie
Higher RAM frequencies pretty much mean nothing unless you're doing something like video production, not to mention usually the RAM won't operate at the advertised frequency unless you either enable XMP or mess with your CPU's FSB, otherwise it would cause instability.

I've bought myself the Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz, 4 modules of 8GB, because they were even cheaper at the time I bought them than the same Corsair Vengeance ones that were 1600mhz. So if there's no difference (or at least no negative side effect), I guess I made a good purchase. :p

That is essentially the case, the GPU decision can be based off what kind of calculations you're going to be doing.
Because a GPU can destroy a CPU in terms of arithmetic, so if your programs can support it I would seriously suggest utilizing them.
If I wanted a PC which can run VM's effectively would the graphics card matter as much? (chose 16GB ram for this purpose but not sure if RAM is the only factor in VM's)

I've bought myself the Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz, 4 modules of 8GB, because they were even cheaper at the time I bought them than the same Corsair Vengeance ones that were 1600mhz. So if there's no difference (or at least no negative side effect), I guess I made a good purchase. :p
There should be no adverse effects, to be honest when it comes to RAM I go by aesthetics and (cpu cooler) compatibility over performance, because unless you run RAMDisks you won't see any change.
But yeah it's not a bad purchase at all.

If I wanted a PC which can run VM's effectively would the graphics card matter as much? (chose 16GB ram for this purpose but not sure if RAM is the only factor in VM's)
The GPU is not really relevant when it comes to virtual machines, the main key points you want to focus on are;
CPU, RAM and read/write performance on storage, as many virtual machines can be reading or writing to your drive at once, causing pretty high disk usage.

The GPU is not really relevant when it comes to virtual machines, the main key points you want to focus on are;
CPU, RAM and read/write performance on storage, as many virtual machines can be reading or writing to your drive at once, causing pretty high disk usage.
Would you suggest a better RAM/CPU or is the one you already posted sufficient?
It's mostly kernel development and setting up my own pen testing labs, I know the latter can be pretty heavy. Probably 3-4 virtual machines max

Would you suggest a better RAM/CPU or is the one you already posted sufficient?
It's mostly kernel development and setting up my own pen testing labs, I know the latter can be pretty heavy. Probably 3-4 virtual machines max
I would probably not upgrade any further, namely because any upgrades will require you to buy the X99 chipset, which is inherently expensive because it's a pretty high end chipset.

Mod Automation
Asus Radeon R7 370 - System Build - PCPartPicker
These would be my choices given your situation, picked the motherboard as it not only includes an M.2 slot as an option, it also has good overclocking capabilities and 4 SATA3 ports.
RAM is basically get whatever is cheapest, as proper reliability only really comes with ECC RAM which is for servers.
CPU Cooler was based on both performance and reliability, liquid cooling would be something of an obvious go-to but liquid coolers have more points of failure and that's not something you want on a system that holds a relatively significant amount of data.
HDD's I assumed you meant 4TB as opposed to 4GB.
The GPU was picked namely for the price to performance as you specified.
PSU was picked again for reliability, not to mention using the system as a NAS generally means constant uptime, so I would consider efficiency a factor (hence the Gold certification).
Was at a TigerDirect and made an impulse purchase of the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P for $60 (good savings compared to Amazon and Newegg). You had previously recommended the Z170 KRAIT GAMING. Just wanted to run it by you and make sure I didn't make a grave mistake. Do you see any potential issues or restrictions to future expansion?

Also enjoy Supporter for a year for free, because you're awesome. It's not much, but it's something. :)

Was at a TigerDirect and made an impulse purchase of the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P for $60 (good savings compared to Amazon and Newegg). You had previously recommended the Z170 KRAIT GAMING. Just wanted to run it by you and make sure I didn't make a grave mistake. Do you see any potential issues or restrictions to future expansion?
You haven't really made a mistake, you have however lost SLI/Crossfire support which is unfortunate but to be honest I always recommend a single card over two just for compatibility and power consumption reasons.
Upon closer inspection I just noticed that Gigabyte board actually has USB Type C which I would consider a fantastic addition, whereas the Z170 Krait board doesn't. USB Type C is something akin to Thunderbolt in the sense that it can be used for a multitude more things than a generic USB port could.

If it was a decent saving then there's nothing wrong with that at all :p
Late reply as I was on League with friends, while Supporter wouldn't really benefit me as I don't bot, I appreciate it all the same :)

12 year old normie
@YubiBotter

Going from 770 4GB SLI to single 970 with watercooling (and OC). Will I get about the same performance? I don't want to upgrade, just similar experiences.