Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k8H2CJ Is the x99 build. It's still being edited, I may just make the jump to Skylake instead. Haven't 100% decided yet. Also, a hyper 212 evo is very capable of cooling the 4690k, it's the cpu and cooler that I have, and I have my 4690k OC'd to 4.6 Ghz and my temps are around 60* C with a few bots, chrome tabs, and a random game open in the background.

And here's my current rig. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DDycpg Was kind of a budget build, but Now I has lots of spending cash, so I'll make my next rig super beastly :D

Don't have my monitor there, but it's a 40" Vizio tv at the moment :p
Yeah you have to take into consideration that the majority of "overclockers" will use OC Genie and the various other automatic overclocking features provided by motherboard manufacturers. Meaning you'll be running a pretty aggressive voltage, that coupled with the natural temperature spikes of a CPU isn't something I'm comfortable recommending.

Also, is there a particular reason you purchase ASRock boards? From my experience their MOSFET's are low quality, hence the reason their power delivery heatsinks being so large, because they produce undesirable heat. Can't say I'm in agreement of the CPU choice either, given that it's crippled in terms of PCI-E lanes and comes with a significant price increase compared to a Z97.

Yeah you have to take into consideration that the majority of "overclockers" will use OC Genie and the various other automatic overclocking features provided by motherboard manufacturers. Meaning you'll be running a pretty aggressive voltage, that coupled with the natural temperature spikes of a CPU isn't something I'm comfortable recommending.

Also, is there a particular reason you purchase ASRock boards? From my experience their MOSFET's are low quality, hence the reason their power delivery heatsinks being so large, because they produce undesirable heat. Can't say I'm in agreement of the CPU choice either, given that it's crippled in terms of PCI-E lanes and comes with a significant price increase compared to a Z97.

Of course. Okay, so I chose the ASrock boards, because that's what I've used in the past, and I've never had issues with them :D And my temps have always been nice and low :D As for the cpu choice on the x99 build, like I said, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on it, I may just skip straight to skylake and get the i7 6700k instead. I may get an msi or asus board instead :D Guess I'm just waiting for my rig to just randomly die or something before I upgrade. Kinda procrastinating at the moment lol.

Of course. Okay, so I chose the ASrock boards, because that's what I've used in the past, and I've never had issues with them :D And my temps have always been nice and low :D As for the cpu choice on the x99 build, like I said, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on it, I may just skip straight to skylake and get the i7 6700k instead. I may get an msi or asus board instead :D Guess I'm just waiting for my rig to just randomly die or something before I upgrade. Kinda procrastinating at the moment lol.
Yeah MOSFET temperatures aren't actually probed, so you'll never know how hot they are as programs can't find a sensor.
Not going to lie, I have a gripe with people that buy *99 chipsets and get the lower end chip, my friend did it recently and refuses to believe it's not a good purchase.

I'd like to say Gigabyte is still good for motherboards, but not too long ago I bought a 990FX UD3 board from them and the CPU fan header was dead.

I'd like to say Gigabyte is still good for motherboards, but not too long ago I bought a 990FX UD3 board from them and the CPU fan header was dead.

R.I.P. yeah my GF has a gigabyte board and it's been trouble for her, but some of the x99 ones have good reviews. It's all a pain in the ass lol.

Not going to lie, I have a gripe with people that buy *99 chipsets and get the lower end chip, my friend did it recently and refuses to believe it's not a good purchase.

What's wrong with the 5820k? Especially for non-gaming purposes? (software development)

What's wrong with the 5820k? Especially for non-gaming purposes? (software development)
There's nothing necessarily wrong with the 5820k, it's just horribly cost inefficient for what you end up with. For example, to make the 5820k cheaper, it has 28 PCI-E lanes as opposed to the 40 you get with a 5830k and 5960X. While that is irrelevant in your case, it's still limiting what you can do in terms of an upgrade path, as the motherboard itself will always support it on a X99 chipset.

With the X99 chipset you have three options, 5820k/5830k and the 5960X.
The 5820k has 6 cores, 12 threads and 28 PCI-E lanes.
The 5830k is essentially a 5820k but with 40 PCI-E lanes (the max you can get).
I don't feel a X99 chipset is justifiable when you consider the price increase over a Z97, as an X99 costs more for the motherboard and RAM. Especially when your CPU purchase also determines your upgrade limitations.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the 5820k, it's just horribly cost inefficient for what you end up with. For example, to make the 5820k cheaper, it has 28 PCI-E lanes as opposed to the 40 you get with a 5830k and 5960X. While that is irrelevant in your case, it's still limiting what you can do in terms of an upgrade path, as the motherboard itself will always support it on a X99 chipset.

With the X99 chipset you have three options, 5820k/5830k and the 5960X.
The 5820k has 6 cores, 12 threads and 28 PCI-E lanes.
The 5830k is essentially a 5820k but with 40 PCI-E lanes (the max you can get).
I don't feel a X99 chipset is justifiable when you consider the price increase over a Z97, as an X99 costs more for the motherboard and RAM. Especially when your CPU purchase also determines your upgrade limitations.
I've been told that game development will run appreciably more smoothly with 6-core CPUs like those on the X99 chipset than with 4-core CPUs like mainstream Xeons. And when I mentioned the 5820k, they didn't criticize the CPU, so I had no idea about that. Luckily I'm not buying my Unity development rig until next year, so I have a lot of time to research.

Could you please enlighten me as to how a CPU's PCIe lanes affects its performance?
Edit: never mind, I found something about CPU and PCIe lanes here: http://superuser.com/questions/843344/what-is-a-pci-express-lane

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I've been told that game development will run appreciably more smoothly with 6-core CPUs like those on the X99 chipset than with 4-core CPUs like mainstream Xeons. And when I mentioned the 5820k, they didn't criticize the CPU, so I had no idea about that. Luckily I'm not buying my Unity development rig until next year, so I have a lot of time to research.

Could you please enlighten me as to how a CPU's PCIe lanes affects its performance?
Edit: never mind, I found something about CPU and PCIe lanes here: http://superuser.com/questions/843344/what-is-a-pci-express-lane

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Not at all.
Having more cores is beneficial to game development, it's just not very cost efficient when you consider the limitations that same CPU imposes upon you.
Lanes however correlate more to SLI/Crossfire configurations, which can impact gaming and rendering performance, as SLI strictly follows a minimum of 8 lanes per card. If a CPU cannot handle the required number of lanes for your graphics configuration, then you will lose bandwidth and potentially performance.

s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶ bot*
Yubi, I have the Intel 750 2.5" U.2 FF, and I'm wanting to purchase another 750 except order the PCIe version.

I've never put two devices like this in RAID but I've read it's possible (Even my mobo advertises it) However, I'm unsure what raid type to put it in.
Do you happen to know this info?

Yubi, I have the Intel 750 2.5" U.2 FF, and I'm wanting to purchase another 750 except order the PCIe version.

I've never put two devices like this in RAID but I've read it's possible (Even my mobo advertises it) However, I'm unsure what raid type to put it in.
Do you happen to know this info?
You can definitely RAID two or more Intel 750 SSDs, though if I recall correctly it will have to be a software RAID as opposed to a hardware one via SATA.
The two options you have available are RAID 0 and RAID 1.
RAID 0 is striped data across two drives, roughly doubling your performance but also doubling your risk of data loss, since you now have two drives acting as one.
RAID 1 is a mirrored drive, meaning you neither gain nor lose performance (unless your RAID card can't handle it) but instead you gain data protection as it is copied in real-time onto a back-up drive.

Personally I wouldn't purchase another and RAID them unless you are sure you want either the performance of back-up possibilities they can provide. And even then you must be aware of the pros and cons, namely that RAID 0 introduces potential loss of data and both RAIDs will very likely require an expensive RAID card.

era

Do you also do upgrade suggestions on current builds?
If so, is there a program I could use to quickly get a list of my build? I don't remember every part in my build (such as PSU).

Do you also do upgrade suggestions on current builds?
If so, is there a program I could use to quickly get a list of my build? I don't remember every part in my build (such as PSU).
Yeah I can do that for you, though to my knowledge there isn't a program that can obtain PSU information because it typically will not have a data link between it and the motherboard.
Speccy is good for the majority of your hardware.

era

Yeah I can do that for you, though to my knowledge there isn't a program that can obtain PSU information because it typically will not have a data link between it and the motherboard.
Speccy is good for the majority of your hardware.
This are my current specs, would be happy if you could suggest some upgrade that would benefit me a lot.
I don't need upgrade suggestions for my OS, my monitors and storage.
My PSU is 550w and I am definitly going to upgrade my memory to 16GB (2 more of the one I currently have).
ad9931eb1ab2418ea5b73b72f923a9d8.png

This are my current specs, would be happy if you could suggest some upgrade that would benefit me a lot.
I don't need upgrade suggestions for my OS, my monitors and storage.
My PSU is 550w and I am definitly going to upgrade my memory to 16GB (2 more of the one I currently have).
ad9931eb1ab2418ea5b73b72f923a9d8.png
I should've asked for this before, but what do you do with your PC? That's typically what I would base my upgrade paths on.
Also I'm assuming that's an R9 280/R9 290(X)?

Java Warlord
Ayy I am wondering if I might get the i5-6500 over the i5-6600K. Benchmarks are saying that in most cases the 6500 is about 8% worse than the 6600K, which doesn't sound too bad to me.
I would probably go with the 6600K, but the difference in price is very significant, plus I don't need the overclocking feature of the 6600K.
Any advice?

Ayy I am wondering if I might get the i5-6500 over the i5-6600K. Benchmarks are saying that in most cases the 6500 is about 8% worse than the 6600K, which doesn't sound too bad to me.
I would probably go with the 6600K, but the difference in price is very significant, plus I don't need the overclocking feature of the 6600K.
Any advice?
The only difference I can see in particular is clockspeed difference, which doesn't really mean all that much.
I would say the i5-6500 is the best bet given you don't need overclocking features.