Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

Budget: $500 preferred, can stretch to $560
Intended use: Heavy multitasking. 10 - 20 chrome tabs, a couple Word windows, an Android emulator (Bluestacks), two or three instances of IntelliJ Idea would be my max load. No gaming at all.
Currency: USD

Thank you for your time.

12 year old normie
The cheapest possible machine to run about 10 RuneMate bots on. Aesthetics do not matter, purely the functionality. Only the PC itself, not extra hardware such as a screen, etc.

The cheapest possible machine to run about 10 RuneMate bots on. Aesthetics do not matter, purely the functionality. Only the PC itself, not extra hardware such as a screen, etc.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xrdbYJ
Will very likely handle more than 10 bots, didn't fancy dropping to an FX-6350 (6 core) and possibly missing the ~10 bot mark.
Unfortunately it is still quite some money due to the fact a decent CPU is necessary.

Even if each bot used 1.5GB, ten bots would eat up 15GB. Windows 10 uses 1.3GB, so 15GB + 1.3GB = more than 16GB.

With 2.2GB for each bot, you'd need a minimum of 24GB of RAM. You'll need to use a motherboard that supports that much RAM, because the Gigabyte GA-78LMT only supports 16GB.

What processor is in your current computer, Bertrand? 38.5% CPU usage for a bot is alot.

12 year old normie
Even if each bot used 1.5GB, ten bots would eat up 15GB. Windows 10 uses 1.3GB, so 15GB + 1.3GB = more than 16GB.

With 2.2GB for each bot, you'd need a minimum of 24GB of RAM. You'll need to use a motherboard that supports that much RAM, because the Gigabyte GA-78LMT only supports 16GB.

What processor is in your current computer, Bertrand? 38.5% CPU usage for a bot is alot.

Lappy at the moment. I have a desktop with about 1/4 of that. :)

I think it would be better if you
a) Rented a server online (Google Cloud, DigitalOcean etc)
b) Bought an actual server. You can find used ones on eBay for cheap. I picked up an 8 core server with 12gb of RAM for only £70

12 year old normie
b) Bought an actual server. You can find used ones on eBay for cheap. I picked up an 8 core server with 12gb of RAM for only £70
Explain the difference between server and a pc for me. Because of the price gap.

Explain the difference between server and a pc for me. Because of the price gap.
Servers are designed to operate under full load 24/7.
If you did that with a desktop PC, don't expect it to last very long.

Sometimes they can be more expensive, but for what you're looking for (lots of ram, lots of cores) a server might be in the same price range.

ninja pre-post edit:
If you're talking about renting servers being different to PCs -- You pay a company every month and they will provide you with a server. It will have good uptime and a fast network connection. If you have to pay a lot for your electricity it could be cheaper.

If that's the genuine RAM usage for a single bot, I personally wouldn't bot because that's absolutely ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, what CPU came with that server? because £70 wouldn't net you much even second hand.

The difference between a server and PC is negligible when you take into account the scenario at hand is botting, the only difference is power consumption and ECC RAM which is again irrelevant.
Server hardware itself is usually quite expensive however some loopholes will allow you to get a server CPU that is essentially a higher binned desktop CPU for less than the desktop equivalent.

Renting servers to my knowledge is questionable, I would highly recommend looking at the TOS of any company that provides this service, simply because if you tax the server for extensive periods of time, this can be deemed harmful for their hardware and they will not like that one bit.

2 quad core Xeons at something low like 2GHz
They're old models, not hyper threaded but it supported ECC ram which is nice.
I thought it would be something akin to that, DDR2?
Tbh ECC is pretty useless unless you're doing something that must have error-proof data, botting doesn't come under that category :p

I thought it would be something akin to that, DDR2?
Tbh ECC is pretty useless unless you're doing something that must have error-proof data, botting doesn't come under that category :p
I run FreeNAS on the box and it complains at you if you're not using ECC RAM.

Java Warlord
Hi there @YubiBotter :)
My pc is getting old and I can't work efficiently on it anymore (which is by the way one cause of my absence).

I've spent the past days in researches regarding hardware, and ended up building the following (the Antec GX505 is the case): http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/9rC7bv

Is that a good build? Do I need a better power supply, are there things which may be overpriced? Do I need extra fans?

And let's say I would order those parts, will I need addidional cables or something to properly build it together?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Last edited:
The Pip Collector
Yo @YubiBotter . So I'm planning on doing a push/pull configuration on the swiftech h320, with the radiator on the inside and 3 fans pulling cold air inside and the other 3 fans on the other side pushing that pulled in cool air into the system. This is going to be on a Corsair 900D case. My question to you is, how many fans can I set up in the case with h320 being the only watercooling part? Gunna be using an ASUS Rampage V Extreme mobo. The 900D has like 3 fans space up front, 4 fans space on both side, and one fan space for exhaust. Thanks!