Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Computer hardware service

How much does this monster cost? How far is this from the most powerful PC you can build with retail components?
Depends on what you would define as retail components, the line is severely blurred in my eyes simply because server CPUs can sometimes be cheaper than their desktop equivalents while performing the same.
An example I always remember is a 3770k vs a Xeon E3 1230, essentially the same chip but the Xeon is higher binned so it has a far lower chance of throwing any errors or miscalculations and runs cooler whilst being cheaper.

To me, anything that's not "retail" would include server racks.
Is a 750W PSU enough for 2 970s in SLI and an OC'd FX-8350?
Yeah 750w is perfectly fine for that, two 970's will barely pull 400w under full load.

Depends on what you would define as retail components, the line is severely blurred in my eyes simply because server CPUs can sometimes be cheaper than their desktop equivalents while performing the same.
An example I always remember is a 3770k vs a Xeon E3 1230, essentially the same chip but the Xeon is higher binned so it has a far lower chance of throwing any errors or miscalculations and runs cooler whilst being cheaper.

To me, anything that's not "retail" would include server racks.

Yeah 750w is perfectly fine for that, two 970's will barely pull 400w under full load.
Perhaps there's a formal definition for "retail components." I generally see it as any component you can buy without having to place a special order with a phone call or something :p but yeah, the inclusion of server racks seems to widen the horizon significantly...

Perhaps there's a formal definition for "retail components." I generally see it as any component you can buy without having to place a special order with a phone call or something :p but yeah, the inclusion of server racks seems to widen the horizon significantly...
In that case, his build is actually quite far from the most powerful build you can get with retail components.
You could pick up quad socket motherboards with four PCI-E lanes for a bunch of Titan X's or something, albeit an impractical build it would be easily done :p The more I talk about this stuff the more I want it for benchmarks and video processing.

The Pip Collector
How much does this monster cost? How far is this from the most powerful PC you can build with retail components?
This gets pretty close to it if you are just using it for personal use. Im thinking my cost at the end would be around 8 - 9k with the 4k monitors i get. I'm not getting everything at once, spending on this is going to be spread out. The first purchase would be the essentials like radiator, fans, keyboard, mouse, 1 monitor, 64gb ram (at once because it harder to find 8 sticks that play nice with each other than buy two different sets of 4 sticks), Titan x, cpu, the case, and 2 monitors.

This gets pretty close to it if you are just using it for personal use. Im thinking my cost at the end would be around 8 - 9k with the 4k monitors i get. I'm not getting everything at once, spending on this is going to be spread out. The first purchase would be the essentials like radiator, fans, keyboard, mouse, 1 monitor, 64gb ram (at once because it harder to find 8 sticks that play nice with each other than buy two different sets of 4 sticks), Titan x, cpu, the case, and 2 monitors.
That's not really true, personal use is subjective as well.
Logically speaking for personal use (and your use-case scenario) you could get away with an i5, it's evident from the choices this build was never intended to be practical.

Yeah, I figured around 8k. Quite the rig you have planned.

It's awesome to have that kind of undisputable power just for the heck of it. I agree with Yubi, though, that if you're going to get it, it won't be for practicality or price/performance. Imho futureproofing is overrated. Even the i7-2500k is still relevant today after four years, having the power of an i5-4460(k).

It's awesome to have that kind of undisputable power just for the heck of it. I agree with Yubi, though, that if you're going to get it, it won't be for practicality or price/performance. Imho futureproofing is overrated. Even the i7-2500k is still relevant today after four years, having the power of an i5-4460(k).
My friend's i5-2500k is still going strong, and that's without an overclock, for whatever reason he has concerns about it. Each to their own I guess :p
From what I've seen with games nowadays, futureproofing is even less of an option than it was previously, everything is becoming exponentially harder to run with resolution and general graphic improvements. And that's not taking into consideration poor console ports, which are ever prominent.

The Pip Collector
That's not really true, personal use is subjective as well.
Logically speaking for personal use (and your use-case scenario) you could get away with an i5, it's evident from the choices this build was never intended to be practical.
Eh XD. Thanks for all d help though. I'll be sure to benchmark it once everything gets setup ;)

Yeh. I'm planning on doing a lot of freelancing development work as well so paying off this computers cost won't take long :)

Eh XD. Thanks for all d help though. I'll be sure to benchmark it once everything gets setup ;)

Yeh. I'm planning on doing a lot of freelancing development work as well so paying off this computers cost won't take long :)
At least you're willing to work your butt off for it :p

@YubiBotter so... I assume I'll need to buy thermal paste with my build. Any recommendations?

At least you're willing to work your butt off for it :p

@YubiBotter so... I assume I'll need to buy thermal paste with my build. Any recommendations?
Just to be clear, if you mean this build I gave you previously: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bf2xvK
Then you won't need thermal paste, as the Hyper 212 Evo (CPU cooler) comes with some paste which is perfectly fine :p I myself bought a 30g tube of MX-2 which hasn't failed me yet.

which is better these are local listings for me :)
was looking to buy a decent desktop since my laptop aint that great for gaming
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-comp...theater-pc-gaming-desktop-computer/1090791449
or
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-comp...ming-entertainment-trades-accepted/1092525251
They're both bad, both have graphics cards that are four generations old.
The first one doesn't actually tell you what the processor is either, going by the clock speed I would assume it's an i5-2500 which is also getting on abit.

Took a look on there myself and only managed to find one remotely decent build:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-comp...er/1091553284?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Though I would ask him if he can provide the CPU name, because AMD FX 3.8GHz means nothing as there are multiple AMD FX chips clocked at 3.8GHz.

I must admit, I found a rather hilarious post that is a ludicrous rip-off too.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-comp...tc/1083895603?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
Bertrand,

Personally, I would invest in the highest wattage power supply you can possibly purchase with your budget. This being, because as time goes on, there are always more and more new hardware developed. And as a power supply big enough to power the new equipment is necessary for the overall usage and life span of it. If you get a big power supply, you wont have to upgrade the power supply as much, when the newer graphics cards, processors, HDD, SDD, Motherboards, ect. come out!

-mvp zoole

Bertrand,

Personally, I would invest in the highest wattage power supply you can possibly purchase with your budget. This being, because as time goes on, there are always more and more new hardware developed. And as a power supply big enough to power the new equipment is necessary for the overall usage and life span of it. If you get a big power supply, you wont have to upgrade the power supply as much, when the newer graphics cards, processors, HDD, SDD, Motherboards, ect. come out!

-mvp zoole
Given what he's running, 750w is more than capable for his system. Not only that, but (aside from AMD) everything is progressively becoming more efficient, making power requirements less of a factor nowadays.

Being an RM power supply as well, there's pretty much zero concern for the lifespan of it, especially given that it will have a 5 year warranty alongside a gold efficiency rating.

12 year old normie
Given what he's running, 750w is more than capable for his system. Not only that, but (aside from AMD) everything is progressively becoming more efficient, making power requirements less of a factor nowadays.

Being an RM power supply as well, there's pretty much zero concern for the lifespan of it, especially given that it will have a 5 year warranty alongside a gold efficiency rating.
Of course I couldn't know a few years back about the very energy efficient 900 GTX series, but I turned out to be lucky if I ever want to upgrade my graphical components.

I'm not really sure what else to upgrade that can be more power consuming than the parts I already have in my build. I'm pretty happy withy dual MSI GTX 770 4gb and I expect to at least go another 5 years with them before having to upgrade.

Of course I couldn't know a few years back about the very energy efficient 900 GTX series, but I turned out to be lucky if I ever want to upgrade my graphical components.

I'm not really sure what else to upgrade that can be more power consuming than the parts I already have in my build. I'm pretty happy withy dual MSI GTX 770 4gb and I expect to at least go another 5 years with them before having to upgrade.
FX 9590? ;) That thing is a constant laughing stock for me personally.
I would like to get a 980 Ti next, simply because I prefer single card solutions over multi-cards if and when possible. It also means if I need to upgrade, I can just chuck another 980 Ti in and have the build last me a fair bit longer.

But as ever, money is the limiting factor :p

12 year old normie
FX 9590? ;) That thing is a constant laughing stock for me personally.
I would like to get a 980 Ti next, simply because I prefer single card solutions over multi-cards if and when possible. It also means if I need to upgrade, I can just chuck another 980 Ti in and have the build last me a fair bit longer.

But as ever, money is the limiting factor :p

I'm with Intel and I'm sticking with it. :)

And I started with a single 770 and like a year back I added another one, and I can't say I'm disappointed by the result. :p And even the prices of my specific card are still worth as much as they cost me brand new if I were to sell them 2nd hand. That probably won't last forever but currently MSI isn't reproducing them and the 4gb versions are rare on it's own alone, so I don't have to worry about losing a lot of money IF I ever plan to upgrade. :D