Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Whats stopping a CoX or ToB script?

Out of curiosity what is stopping a Chambers of Xeric or Theater of Blood script from happening?

I get that either would be a very complicated scripts, but at the same time its one of the absolute best money makers and instanced so it would be an absurdly good activity to bot. I remember pretty awesome dungeoneering bots existing back in pre OSRS days and the boss fights aren't much more complicated that something like Zulrah that's already heavily botted.

Is there some hurdle that means they can't be botted or are the scripts just being sold privately for ludicrous amounts of money..?

I think generally there's not a lot of authors that are taking on big projects. There's a fair amount of top-level authors who are content with their selection (myself included) and are happy to just maintain their bots and not contribute any new ones.

A CoX or ToB bot would require several high-level accounts, which aren't regularly available. Users can offer their accounts, but what authors need are unlimited, immediate access to these accounts which isn't fair on the account owners really.

Myself, I've created a few boss bots for RS3 back in the day. Myself and a few authors (@auxi who was infinitely more talented at boss bots than me) had good fun making them. We made these for ourselves, meaning we had very specific methods and setups in mind, which is something you can't really get away with if you want to make a successful publicly usable bot. All combinations must be considered to some extent, as you can see in Prime Zulrah.

Data collection is a huge part of making boss bots. You need animation id's, animation lengths (frames), stances, positioning, projectiles, precision timings, and more. There's a lot of people that request these bots and say they'll pay for them, but the sheer amount of time that's required behind the scenes and immediately after releasing (bug fixes, maintenance, etc). The time is takes to make this bot, authors could easily make 2-3 other high-level bots which would likely earn more than a single group-boss bot would make.

This isn't to say it won't be done, just a few things that go through the decision making process.

cuppa.drink(java);
Basically what Swych said, really. The biggest parts for me are:
  • Complexity (obviously). Bots lends themselves most directly to simple, repetitive actions, and something like CoX or bosses in general have a lot more variables going on or tasks to do. Dungeoneering bots were always really impressive to me, because they're basically a limited version of a bunch of other bots (combat, cooking, herblore, puzzles, etc etc) all rolled into one. So if you're going to put that much effort in, you kinda might as well just release all those other bots instead.
  • Runemate isn't really made for precise clicking. With a lot of bosses, if you misclick once or twice, you're dead. Runemate's clicks aren't really intended to always hit the target, if you don't have the logic exact or the timing is off it can mess up.
  • I personally really would not want to juggle logic for a bunch of different item loadouts, like prime zulrah does.
  • In my mind, the cost of losing a med-low level account is low, so premium bots can be priced in a way that most of the cost is the literal cents/hour. Whereas botting on a maxed main, there's a massive overhead (~$200+?) for the value of the account. So if the bot makes say 3mill/hour, and the bot is 30¢ per hour, that sounds like a profit of at least 90¢ per hour. But when factoring in the potential loss of value of the account, it's much less worth it. Basically there's a bit of a curve between profit from the moneymaker and risk of the account getting banned. This one is definitely very debatable, just my feelings on it.
  • Zulrah was a pretty good boss to make a bot for due to its relatively low requirements, but a lot of other bosses are literally endgame bosses and likely wouldn't get nearly as much use.
  • Something like CoX is essentially multiple bosses in one script and essentially that many bosses times the effort of a zulrah bot (not exactly but essentially).
  • Testing and debugging bossing scripts would be so painful as they're so fast paced and unforgiving.
This is a bit of a word vomit post, but yeah there's my bullet points thoughts on it. I've considered making a bossing bot before, it's just hard to justify.

Also this might just be me, but I've noticed quite a few bot authors don't actively play the game anymore besides for writing bots. So for me personally, I've never done CoX or raids. So it's hard for me to even imagine what it entails.

Low-key last week I was considering trying to make a fire caves bot because that's one of the few pieces of high level content I can fairly easily do manually. But there is a LOT involved there, and it's the type of bot most people would only run for an hour so it really isn't worth trying for me.