Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Bug Charged for 254 hours in 1 day

Been charged for 254 hours between 7okt-8okt.

I believe that I have botted not more than like 10 hours. But even if I let my bots run 24/7 over 2 days, I am allowed to run 3 bots at once, 3 accounts X 24hours X 2days = 144.

What happened here?

RuneMate Staff
Private VPS

If the IP address you are using is also shared or has been shared with someone else, you will combine hours.

Some (especially the cheap and nasty ones) VPS providers will tell you that you have a private IP address, when this isn't the case.

FAQ:

Why are my hours disappearing so quickly? I haven't used that many hours?
You are likely on a shared network where someone else on your network has used up the hours. If this is the case you should speak to your service provider and ask them to give each connecting user a unique public IP address.

But still it should not be possible right? I guess you are likely to see the hours I have used.

Even if somebody would have shared the same IP and used up my hours it was never possible to use 254 hours in 2 days because my the maximum amount of instances is 3. And as said the maximum I could actually reach is 144 (3X24X2).

The only possible explanation is that somebody restarted the client 254 times to make 1 minute of bot time count for 1 hour. However, most likely nothing I can do about it now.

RuneMate Staff
But still it should not be possible right? I guess you are likely to see the hours I have used.

Even if somebody would have shared the same IP and used up my hours it was never possible to use 254 hours in 2 days because my the maximum amount of instances is 3. And as said the maximum I could actually reach is 144 (3X24X2).

The only possible explanation is that somebody restarted the client 254 times to make 1 minute of bot time count for 1 hour. However, most likely nothing I can do about it now.

Just because you are on the $3.00 / 300 hour package, doesn't mean another person on your IP address isn't using more, eg: $10.00 / 1,000 hours. It could have even been more than one person too that contributed to using "your" hours.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to help, other than recommend against using a shared network or VPN when botting.

Just because you are on the $3.00 / 300 hour package, doesn't mean another person on your IP address isn't using more, eg: $10.00 / 1,000 hours. It could have even been more than one person too that contributed to using "your" hours.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to help, other than recommend against using a shared network or VPN when botting.

Pardon me for stepping in; what's the technical reason(s) why it isn't possible for you to differentiate who is using what?

IP addresses should NOT be used as a means to identify someone/device, especially when utilising usage caps, more and more people are using mobile networks for their connection(s) at home (especially UK), these IP addresses are dynamic, someone 250 miles away could be totting up the hours with no association between the two users.

I don't want to appear to criticise, but solving these issues would stop a plethora or threads on the same subject matter.

RuneMate Staff
Pardon me for stepping in; what's the technical reason(s) why it isn't possible for you to differentiate who is using what?

IP addresses should NOT be used as a means to identify someone/device, especially when utilising usage caps, more and more people are using mobile networks for their connection(s) at home (especially UK), these IP addresses are dynamic, someone 250 miles away could be totting up the hours with no association between the two users.

I don't want to appear to criticise, but solving these issues would stop a plethora or threads on the same subject matter.

@Arbiter will have to answer that.

cuppa.drink(java);

I think this is mainly in place to curb people creating multiple accounts on the same IP to reset their free hours. Could be wrong.

I think this is mainly in place to curb people creating multiple accounts on the same IP to reset their free hours. Could be wrong.

You're probably correct but it's obviously an issue.

RuneMate has a username/password (2fa, optional) authentication system; use something like (Windows, PowerShell, wmic csproduct get UUID) and send that to the server upon each applaunch with the IP address; if someone makes additional accounts to bypass the limit, use logs and ban them manually from using the service, if the current team can't be arsed to monitor this manually, hire someone to do it or find a volunteer.

To penalise other folk because of the way they connect the Internet is outright annoying, suggesting they spend money buying MORE hours OR spend money on a Private VPS/VPN is silly too.

Mod Automation
Understanding IP Addressing and CIDR Charts — RIPE Network Coordination Centre

For IPv4, this pool is 32-bits (232) in size and contains 4,294,967,296 IPv4 addresses.
The IPv6 address space is 128-bits (2128) in size, containing 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 IPv6 addresses.

Even factoring in that a subset of the pool is used for public IPs, you're more likely to win the lottery many times in a row than have a conflict through re-use in our little corner of the Internet.

A Windows only identification solution is not suitable since we are a cross-platform application. Not to mention that code that introspects on the platform is often flagged by anti-viruses as false positives, which is obviously undesirable.

While I appreciate your suggestion, we have no intention of change the multi-account detection in the near future for reasons including the ones I've stated above.